Health & Safety Manager
Job Title: Health & Safety Manager
Based: Ballymount, Dublin 12 with occasional requirements in Naas Depot
Reporting to: Head of Engineering
To provide leadership and professional support on health, safety, and environmental
matters to all areas of the organisation, but principally vehicle operations, engineering and premises.
Key Responsibilities and tasks
- To develop and implement an integrated health and safety management system for the business, based on the company’s risk profile, legal and regulatory requirements, and Go-Ahead’s expectations set out in its H&S Policy and Strategy statement
- To support management in ensuring the Company's health and safety management system is implemented consistently across our entire operations, and to monitor its effectiveness and compliance
- To ensure the company is made aware of the full range of our health, safety, environment, road safety and fire protection legal requirements, and advising directors and managers of the necessary actions to remain legally compliant.
- To undertake all regulatory reporting.
- To support management in maintaining a good level of awareness of workplace health and safety, road safety, environmental, fire protection and quality requirements across all areas of our business
- Carry out audits, and support managers in creating required risk assessments, and be responsible for tracking their status and relevance
- Based on risk assessment outcomes, assist management to formulate proportionate and compliant methods of work and safe systems of work for colleagues
- Develop and manage a contractor approval, assessment and control process, in accordance with Go-Ahead’s Policies & Procedures, and assist contractors in creating project specific risk assessments and method statements (RAMS). Assist managers in monitoring contractor’s compliance to agreed RAMS.
- Support the investigation of workplace and road-based accidents/dangerous occurrences and log/track agreed remedial actions to prevent a re-occurrence
- Liaise with the relevant manager(s) in respect of Public/Employee liability claims.
- To be an active participating member of the employee Health and Safety Consultative body and act as the coordinator, including managing the input from the union and other stakeholders
- Acts as an independent ombudsperson for all colleagues to approach regarding health, safety, environment, quality and security issues, and presents these issues to the Managing Director or Chair of the Board if necessary
- Co-ordinate all aspects of pollution control, waste management, recycling, environmental health, conservation and renewable energy, reference legal requirements and Go-Ahead’s Policies & Procedures
- To liaise with outside regulatory and enforcement authorities and provide them on request with accurate and timely information
- To identify training needs and implement specific health, safety, environment, fire, security, and quality training programmes
- To liaise with Group specialists, including the Group Health & Safety Advisor (Bus) and Go-Ahead auditors
- Other reasonable duties which are not mentioned above may be required to be undertaken
Knowledge and Skills Requirements:
- Valid Full B Driving Licence
- 5+ years’ experience in a similar role
- Experience with ISO, QMS and SMS systems
- Experience in a similar sized operation
- Full knowledge of applicable regulatory requirements for workplace health & safety, environment, and fire protection
- Required Health, safety, and risk analysis accreditation
- Evidence of developing and maintaining a comprehensive and integrated management system for at least some elements of the job
- Operational level experience in risk management and health and safety
- Experience of managing change effectively, in a new start-up environment, ideally including on-boarding of new/untrained colleagues
- Evidence of promoting a positive HSE culture to maintain performance
- Practical experience of working in a health and safety role in the transport/engineering sector
- Experience or clear knowledge and understanding of undertaking health and safety audits, inspections and assessments
- Experience in designing and delivering training courses
This job description is a guide only. Any omission from this job description does not in any way imply that it is not part of the required duties. Employees are expected to comply with the instructions of any Company Official. Go-Ahead Ireland is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome enquiries from everyone and value diversity in our workforce
Send your CV and Cover letter to Katie at email@example.com